16 Sept 2010

Fauvism II

Some of you don't know much about Fauvism and that's why I want to explain "the base" to you. But I'm not an expert, we've recently seen the movement so I just tell about the things I know at the moment.

Origin:
It all started with an exhibition in France: Salon d'Automne (1905).
This was a large hall with in the middle a bust and Fauvistic works around it. An artcritic said something about it: "La candeur de ce buste surprend au milieu de l'orgie des tons purs: Donatello parmi les fauves."
What means something like: It looks like a Donatello in a room filled with savages. (Donatello was a classic sculptor with sculptures in the style of the Greek)
So fauvism comes from the French word fauve, what savage means.

Characteristics:
-no perspective
-bright, wild colours
-make things more abstract
-intense

Artists:
There is a list of Fauvistic artists but I'll show you a few of the most well-known.

Henri Matisse 
You can see his evolution.
Harmony in Red
King of Sorrow
 The sheaf (I don't know of this is the right translation)

Georges Braque
 Landscape at Estaque
 The viaduct of Estaque (although this is more kubism)

André Derain
Charing Cross Bridge (London)

You can see that I like Matisse the most. When I was little he was one of my favourite artists! Because of his colours probably ;)

13 comments:

  1. No problem! I prescribe me all too often. ;) Ps: I would be glad If you follow my Blog. Of course I don't expect that. xx, Alice from bells and whistles :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANK YOU for following my Blog. Oh and I love the Landscape at Estaque. Beautiful! xx, Alice :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. following your blog now!!!

    beautiful post

    xoxo
    poisepolish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love art too
    but I didn't know almost anything about fauvism, so thanks for the info
    the pictures are great

    Marley

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ik ben echt gek op zulke kunst :) ! Leuke post, en ook erg origineel !
    Liefs

    www.fashion-freaks.be

    ReplyDelete
  6. amazing. never knew about fauvism until know. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ha, I am going to experiment my thought, your post get me some good ideas, it's really awesome, thanks.

    - Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're welcome. It's always nice to inspire other artists :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Il semble que vous soyez un expert dans ce domaine, vos remarques sont tres interessantes, merci.

    - Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nous avons vu cette sujet dans notre course d'histoire de l'art :)

    (J'espère que c'est correcte parce que mon français est très mauvais!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, I am checking this blog using the phone and this appears to be kind of odd. Thought you'd wish to know. This is a great write-up nevertheless, did not mess that up.

    - David

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment and make my day. :)